Monday, February 15, 2010

The red day

A week before Valentine's Day, news and articles kept coming up about love, romantic getaways, gift suggestions and everything and anyhting that one could associate with the red V-Day. For a person who is not in a relationship, V-Day could only be called as the "Single Awareness Day". Some single people may dread it, some treat it lke a normal day and some celebrate special ocassions in this day.

When I was little, I used to view Valentine's Day as a day where lovers can be extra sweet and lovable to their significant others. It is a day where people give chocolates and flowers. A day where lovers date in the mall or at the park. But as I grew older, V-Day became less extraordinary. Just like my birthday and any other ocassion it became an ordinary day. It's not because I'm sigle or anything, it's just that things got so mundane. Or maybe I am just jaded. But if I ever find myself in a relationship maybe V-Day won't be just an ordinary day. But right now, I find it ridiculous to be extra sweet and loving to your loved one just because it's Valentines Day. People can be super sweet and loving any day they want to. But why Valentine's Day? I blame it all on those capitalists also known as greeting card companies and other companies who capitalize on V-Day haha. But I think they should also capitalize Feb. 14 as "Single Awareness Day" because it would also generate some profit. Not every single ladies and men are envious of peple who are in love. And those people won't be ashamed to celebrate "Single Awareness Day". Maybe I should draft a business plan and pitch this plan to companies haha.

Actually, Valentine's Day can be celebrated by people not included in the primary target market of those capitalists. Families or friends can go out, dine out, go to mass since it's St. Valentine's feats day, climb a moutain ike what my friend did, watch a movie or d what ever that'll make you happy. Valentine's Day isn't just for lovers or for single people who are made aware of their singleness. It's for everyone who knows how to love and be loved.

Belated St. Valentine's Day everyone! May love be with each and everyone always.


No comments: