Thursday, July 16, 2009

All by myself....

When i was younger i used to abhor the idea of eating alone in any restaurant. The idea itself was so repulsive that I really can't see myself alone, eating in one corner with no one to talk to. Eating alone would mean that you're a loner with no friends and you look kawawa all by yourself. But as years go by and as I get older, I realized that eating alone is not as bad as I think it would be. I discovered that eating alone can be liberating. It's like shedding your dependent side and it shows that you are not afraid to be alone. That being alone is okay and you don't need other people to get by. I'm not saying that we don't need other people because I also belive that no man is an island. But in life people need to learn how to be all by themselves.

Recently I had this conversation with a friend. She told me that people eating alone looks like an "abnoy" (weird) person. Of course I told her that eating alone is not as bad as she think it was. It's just that she's so concious with her surrounding that a passing glance from someone would mean so many different things for her. When I was younger I'd be so concious when other people would look or spare a glance at me. I would feel like there was something wrong with me or if I have dirt on my face. It's really uncomfortable when other people and strangers look at you. But one day I just stopped caring if other people were looking at me. It just happened. I woke up one day and I couldn't care less if I'm all alone in one corner eating by myself. I discovered that doing things on your own is not really that bad. It was like freeing yourself from you. I also realized that when I'm alone, I'm more at peace with everything around me. I can think things through without any influence from other people.

It takes time before one can get used to eating alone. Besides I'm such a foodie and i wouldn't pass up an opportunity to eat even if I'm alone.

No comments: