Saturday, February 04, 2006

Feminist?

What is the essence of being a woman?

Is it her hair? breasts? what?!

Yesterday I saw a preview a noon time talk show from a newly aired channel. One host said that "ang kaganapan ng pagiging isang babae ay ang pagiging ina..." of course it's not the exact words but, it's like she's saying that the very worth of a woman is being a mother and bearing a child. Anyway, their topic was married women for several years that doesn't have a child yet. I was irated at what the host or writer's message that for a woman to be a "REAL" woman, she must have a child. I didn't watched the show but I definitely disagree at what the host said in the preview.
I remember back then, a question was raised in a beauty contest I guess, I'm not sure... so anyway the question was about the essence of being a woman, and most contestant answered that the very essence of being a woman is bearing a child and blah... blah... blah... which I strongly disagree. Yes women was given the gift of bearing children, but their existence doesn't solely depends on giving birth and adding population to society. If the very essence of being a woman is giving birth and having a child then what about those barren women or the old maid who doesn't have a child? Does that mean that they're not complete or fulfilled? I don't think so... I believe that God created a woman as man's companion. She's not a subordinate, or a helper but a companion. With equal rights and opportunities. And if having a child is the standard of being a fulfilled woman then the others who doesn't have a child or the ability to bear one will forever be hmmmmm... what's the right word for that... hmmm.... incomplete? is that it? I know there are women who feels incomplete because of their inability to bear a child. I don't blame them if they feel that way, because society expects them or tells them that having a child will complete them and their family. Even in the olden days a womn who has the inability to bear a child is frowned upon in the society. Husbands will take a concubine to bear him a child, or even worse give the woman back to her family. See? the mentlity that the essence of being a woman is bearing a child dates back in pre-historic time.
I believe that God created woman with a purpose other that giving birth. I think it's so wrong to base the very existence of a woman in to giving birth. There are barren women, old maids or unfortunate women who can't produce the right size of eggcells, because God has plan for them. I think they have another purpose in life. I believe that God has a purpose for everyone.

So what is the essence of being a woman?

It's knowing what she is, what she wants, knowing her purpose and being the woman she wants to be...

No comments: